Puffy Pillow Pancakes
Cooking demonstrators: Jarrad + Arjuna
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk (or soy milk)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center.
- Measure the milk into a measuring cup. Add vinegar and ground flax seeds, and use a fork to vigorously mix the ingredients until foamy. This will take a minute or so.
- Pour the milk mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Add the water, canola oil and vanilla and use a fork to mix until a thick, lumpy batter forms. That should take about a minute. It doesn’t need to be smooth, just make sure you get all the ingredients incorporated.
- Preheat the pan over medium-low heat and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat the pan in oil. Add 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, and cook for about 4 minutes, until puffy. Flip the pancakes, adding a new coat of oil to the pan, and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Pancake should be about an inch thick, and golden brown.
- Rest pancakes on a cooling rack covered with tin foil until ready to serve. To reheat, place pancakes in on a baking sheet covered with tin foil in a 300 F degree oven for 5 minutes or so.