Cooking demonstrator: Claire Southward-Ellis
- 1 cup of cashews
- 4 cups of water
- Soak the cashews for 6-8 hours or soak in boiling water for 20 mins.
- Put soaked cashews and add 4 cups of water in a blender and blitz until very smooth. Sieve just to be on the safe side and to ensure no bits in there.
- Then measure out 5 cups of your cashew milk (recipe should make 5 cups if it makes more, only use 5 cups.), 1 cup and 2 T tapioca flour or tapioca starch, 3 T kappa carrageenan (specialist ingredient, need to order online), 1 T salt and ¾ teaspoon of lactic acid (order vegan lactic acid online), and 1-2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast, blend all together in same blender. Then add 1 ½ cups melted REFINED (must be refined or neutral or deodorised) coconut oil and briefly pulse in blender (few seconds).
- Then put in saucepan and start heating and stirring slowly, whisking is best, slowing increase the heat, beware of the oil separating out if you heat too fast. It will become a little bit bubbly and get a stringy type texture. Take mixture out and put in 2x 2cup containers. Recipe makes 2 cheeses.
- Put in fridge to cool and set for a few hours and then tip out of dishes and wrap the cheese in plain paper towels for 24 hours (the longer you leave it in paper towels- the softer it goes), and the cheese will lose the rubbery texture and become soft.
- You can slice, grate the cheese and melt on pizza.
Adapted from Jay Astafa Mozzarella recipe