Lemon Meringue Pie
Cooking demonstrator: Claire Southward- Ellis
- 150gm Arnotts Nice Biscuits
- 60gms vegan margarine
- ¾ cup of lemon juice
- 500gms of coconut cream
- 110gms of sugar
- 30 gms of cornflour
- 3/4cup aquafaba
- ¼ tsp xanthum gum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280gms caster sugar
- 5gms of agar agar powder (approx 1 slightly rounded tsp)
- ½ cup water
- ½ T glucose syrup
- Crush biscuits and melt margarine, mix together and then press down firmly into a pie tin and bake at 180c for about 5-10 mins until lightly browned. Take out and allow to cool.
- Mix filling ingredients together in pot and place on heat, stirring all the time until mixture is thickened. You can add natural yellow food colouring for yellow colouring. Pour mix onto of cooled pie base and put in fridge for a few hours to set.
- Place aquafaba and xanthum gum in a bowl and use electric beater to whisk until stiff peaks form. Then add vanilla essence.
- Put in pot and bring to the boil stiring all the time. Boil until it starts to get really thick, can take a few minutes.
- Take off the heat and add to the aquafaba mixture with electric beaters running , keep mixing until mixture is cooler and thick and glossy.
- Tip meringue on top of pie and put in fridge.
- This is best made the day before and kept in the fridge.
Adapted from www.plantified.com