Kumara and avocado sushi bowl with edamame and tōgarashi mayo
Cooking demonstrator: Tom Riley (Green Dinner Table)
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 40 ml rice wine seasoning
- 1 large kumara (about 600g)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 yellow pepper
- 150g edamame
- 30g pickled ginger
- 80g togarashi mayo
- 30g toasted sesame seeds
- A splash of soy sauce
- Any Vegan Mayo
- 20 ml rice wine vinegar
- 10g sugar
- 15 ml mirin
- A pinch of salt
Rice wine seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Fill with enough water to just cover the rice (about 2 cm above the rice). Add a pinch of salt, bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce the heat to very low. Cook covered for 12 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients for the rice wine seasoning in a small pot and bring to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- Peel and dice the kumara into roughly 2 to 3 cm cubes. Toss with a little oil and a pinch of salt, roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until fully cooked and golden brown.
- To make the mayo, place the mustard, sugar and soy milk in a blender and pulse to combine. Leave the blender on a medium setting and slowly, very slowly, drizzle in the oil, watching carefully as the mayo comes together. Once thick (this may not take all the oil) transfer to a bowl and mix in the tōgarashi and a small pinch of salt.
- Cut the peppers into quarters and remove the core, then thinly slice. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. Scoop out the flesh then thinly slice, season with a touch of salt and a thin line of tōgarashi.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Finely chop the pickled ginger. Cook the edamame for 2 minutes then strain. Combine the edamame with the pickled ginger in a small bowl.
- Gently mix the rice seasoning into the rice.
- Serve the rice, topped with everything. Sprinkle over toasted sesame, drizzle with a little soy and enjoy!